My primary research interests span broadly across the areas as follows.
- Secure real-time wireless medical devices
- Cyber-physical security
- Device fingerprinting
- Acoustic side-channel
- Captcha attacks and design
My other interests include mobile forensics, security & privacy of medical data, efficient encryption schemes design. Google Scholar.
- One NSF Center for Visual and Decision Informatics (CVDI) IAB project entitled “Decentralized and Distributed Deep Learning for Industrial IoT Devices” is selected for funding, $50,000. Co-PI is Dr. Li Chen.
- I will serve as a session chair for the IEEE Workshop on the Internet of Safe Things 2021 in conjunction with IEEE Security and Privacy 2021.
- I got two Supervised Undergraduate Research Experiences awards for female minority students, $5,000 per student.
- My 1-year project “Development of two VR-assisted low-cost online courses leading to security certificates” is selected by the Louisiana Board of Regents Cybersecurity Education Management Council (CEMC) for funding, $116,101.
- I will host Drs. Yinzhi Cao and Dr. Philippe Burlina‘s seminar “Fairness and Privacy in AI Applied to Healthcare“. Link, Video.
- My student Md Abdullah Ai Momin has completed his paper “Motion-based Liveness Detection for Voice Authentication of Tele-surgical Robots” to IEEE GLOBECOM 2021.
- I will serve as a Program Committee Member of USENIX Security Symp. 2022.
- I will host Dr. Hongxin Hu‘s seminar “Rethinking Security for the Internet of Things“. Link, Video.
- I will host Dr. Yuan Tian‘s seminar “When Machine Learning Meets Security and Privacy: Challenges and Opportunities“. Link, Video.
- I will serve as a session chair for the Automotive and Autonomous Vehicle Security (AutoSec) Workshop 2021 in conjunction with NDSS 2021.
- I will host Dr. Neil Gong‘s seminar “Secure Federated Learning“. Link, Video.
- Congratulations to Md Imran Hossen. His paper “A Low-Cost Attack against the hCaptcha System” got accepted by WOOT 2021!
- Congratulations to Md Fazle Rabby. His paper “Stacked LSTM Based Deep Recurrent Neural Network with Kalman Smoothing for Blood Glucose Prediction“ got accepted by BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making! Link
- Congratulations to Yazhou Tu. His paper “Transduction Shield: A Low-Complexity Method to Detect and Correct the Effects of EMI Injection Attacks on Sensors“ got accepted by AsiaCCS 2021! Acceptance rate: 70/362=19.3%.
- Our small project “Digital Image Correlation (DIC) Method for AM Process Evaluation and Monitoring” was funded by BoRSF-LA EPSCoR. $39,400.
- Being appointed as an associate editor for IEEE ACCESS since Dec 1, 2020.
- Start to Edit a book titled “Security, Data Analytics, and Energy-Aware Solutions in the IoT“. The submission deadline is Nov 4, 2020.
- Being appointed as an Editorial Board Member by the journal of “Internet of Things and Cloud Computing (IOTCC)”. Between August 20, 2020, to August 20, 2022.
- Congratulations to Md Imran Hossen. His paper “An Object Detection based Solver for Google’s Image reCAPTCHA v2“ got accepted by RAID 2020!.
- Our NSF RII Track-1: Louisiana Materials Design Alliance (LAMDA) proposal got funded.
- Our work to print face shields for local hospitals was reported. Link
- Our paper on how to reopen lockdown societies due to COVID-19. Chinese. English.
- Our CCS paper about the security issues of temperature-control systems was featured by the first issue of ControlEngeering. Link 1.
- Our journal paper “Feature Fusion and Voiceprint Based Access Control for Wireless Insulin Pump Systems” was published at IEEE ACCESS. Congratulations to Yuan Ping and Bin Hao!
- Our CCS paper about the security issues of temperature-control systems was featured by the University of Michigan Engineering News. Link.
- I publish an essay about how to select topics for top-4 security conferences. Link.
- I published a checklist for top-4 security conferences. Link.
- Our new paper written by my student, MD Imran Hossen, was reported by RECLAIM the Net!
- Our new paper written by my student, MD Imran Hossen, was reported by The Register
- My student Yazhou Tu’s paper “Trick or Heat? Manipulating Critical Temperature-Based Control Systems Using Rectification Attacks” was accepted by ACM CCS 2019. Congratulations to Yazhou!
- I was selected to serve as a PC member of USENIX SECURITY 2020!
- Bin Hao presented his paper “Voiceprint-based Access Control for Wireless Insulin Pump Systems” at IEEE MASS 2010.
- Welcome four new graduate students to join WEDS lab!
- Our USENIX SECURITY paper written by my student, Yazhou Tu, was reported by The Register
- I was selected to serve as a PC member of USENIX SECURITY 2019!
- My student Yazhou Tu’s paper “Injected and Delivered: Fabricating Implicit Control over Actuation Systems by Spoofing Inertial Sensors“ was accepted by USENIX SECURITY SYMP. 2018. Congratulations to Yazhou!
- I will move to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- I was awarded an NSF CRII grant!
- I was awarded a Delaware Economic Development Office grant!
- 08/2014 ACM 2014 MobiHoc Best Poster Runner-up Award
- 12/2013 Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- 04/2013 The Bronze Award Best Graduate Project in Future of Computing Competition
- 04/2013 IEEE INFOCOM student travel grant
- 12/2010 IEEE GLOBECOM student travel grant
- NSF, Project title: RII Track-1: Louisiana Materials Design Alliance (LAMDA). Amount: $20M. 8/1/2020-7/31/2025. Role: co-PI.
- LA Broad Regents, Project title: Digital Image Correlation Method (DIC) for AM Process Evaluation and Monitoring. Amount: $39,400. 1/1/2021-12/31/2021. Role: co-PI.
- LA Broad Regents, Project title: Development of two VR-assisted low-cost online courses leading to security certificates. Amount: $116,101. 6/1/2021-6/30/2022. Role: PI.
- LA Board Regents, two Supervised Undergraduate Research Experiences awards for female minority students, Amount: $10,000. 5/1/2021-4/30/2022. Role: PI.
- NSF Center for Visual and Decision Informatics (CVDI) IAB project entitled “Decentralized and Distributed Deep Learning for Industrial IoT Devices”, Amount: $50,000. August 1, 2021 – July 31, 2022. Role: PI.
- NSF, Project title: CRII: SaTC: CPS: RUI: Cyber-Physical System Security in Implantable Insulin Injection Systems. Amount: $174,995. 11/20/2017-12/31/2019. Role: single PI.
- Delaware Economic Development Office, Project title: A human-aware energy-efficient security framework for memory-restrained Internet of Everything Devices. Amount: $99,997, 11/1/2015-10/31/17. Role: single PI.
- NSF Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace (SaTC) 2020.
- NSF Cyber-Physical System 2015
- 2019 IEEE Senior Member Application Virtual Review Panel
Program Committee Member
- USENIX SECURITY SYMP. 2019 & 2020 & 2021 & 2022
- AutoSec 2019 & 2020 &2021
- SafeThings 2021
- IEEE ICDIS 2019
- IEEE GLOBECOM 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017
- IEEE ICC 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017
- IEEE WASA 2016 & 2017
- IEEE CyperC 2014 & 2015
- IEEE ICACCI 2014
- IEEE ICCVE 2013 & 2014 & 2015
Editor of journals
- Associate Editore of IEEE Access
- Assistant managing editor of JISTMSR (Journal of Information Systems and Technology Management for Specialized Research)
- Guest editor of Security Analytics and Intelligence for Cyber-Physical Systems, IEEE Access.
Reviewer for journals
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
- IEEE Wireless Communications Letters
- IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine
- International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing
- Wiley Journal of Security and Communication Networks